ADSM-L

Re: OT: Flushing 3494 ATL Queue

2004-09-21 12:19:13
Subject: Re: OT: Flushing 3494 ATL Queue
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:04:06 -0400
On Sep 21, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

...Eventhough the tape drive (3590B) is empty, we can't seem to
convince the
ATL that the clean has finished.  Any tape mount that gets assigned to
this drive (via z/OS) eventually fails since the ATL never completes
the
mount process. ...

I'm impressed with your problem pursuit measures, Zoltan - you have
tried
quite a lot.  If your CE is stumped...

I presume that the drive's panel indicates a neutral drive state, rather
than any indication of cleaning. (I would not want to see a situation
where
the OS was for some reason persistently forcing the drive to cleaning
mode.)

Whereas the drive has been reset and power-cycled, it ostensibly doesn't
think that it is in Cleaning mode; but the library still does.  This
might
indicate a problem in communication between library and drive, which
occurs
over the ARTIC manifold of RS-422 cabling...which might be as simple as
loose connection, or may be a fault in some of the electronics.  The CE
should be able to watch the 3494's internal logs as you perform actions
like reset and power cycling on the drive, to see if communication is
happening - particularly comparing its behavior with that of the other
drives.  If the communication is all happening correctly, then something
may be awry in the library database.  I would try to jog state by making
the drive Unavailable then Available at the 3494 operator panel.
An experienced CE should be able to track this down.

      what immediately comes to mind,  Richard Sims