ADSM-L

TDP Log file backup running for a very long time

2004-09-20 17:37:59
Subject: TDP Log file backup running for a very long time
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:39:02 -0700
TSM Client V5.3.2.1, TDP for SQL V5.2.1, TSM Storage Agent V5.2.3.2 TSM Server
V5.2.3.2.
Windows 2003 Itanium Cluster with 2 servers.

We are doing some SQL backup testing today.  We have a 2.5 TB database that we
backed up at 477 GB/hr to 10 tape drives using LANFree (2.5 TB's in 5.1 hours).

We started a logs backup of a 13 GB Log and it has been running for nearly 90
minutes so far.  The backup mounted a tape via LanFree right away and has had
the same tape mounted in the same tape drive this whole time. There are no
errors being reported anywhere.

On the command window where we started the TDP backup we see "Waiting for TSM
server" with pages of periods ".".  Then we see a message showing that is wrote
some data.  It keeps repeating that process.  At the rate being displayed of
620.12 Kb/Sec it looks like the Log file backup is running at around 2 GB/hr.
Any ideas what might be going wrong?

We still have all the settings maxed:
Buffers 8
Buffersize 8191
SQLBuffers 0
SQLBuffersize 4096
Stripes 10

These same settings didn't seem to effect the full backup adversly?