ADSM-L

Re: D2D on AIX

2004-09-20 13:19:11
Subject: Re: D2D on AIX
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:19:56 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Eliza Lau
>Our 3494 with 3590K tapes in 3 frames is getting full.
>Instead of adding another frame or upgrading to 3590H or 3592
>tapes we are looking into setting up a bunch of cheap ATA
>disks as primary storage.
>
>The FILE devclass defines a directory as its destination and
>JFS2 has a max file system size of 1TB.  Does it mean the
>largest stgpool I can define is 1TB?

No. What it means is that the largest single volume in your diskpool can
be 1TB. You could have, say, 30 volumes @ 500GB per volume, making a
total storage pool size of 15TB. Every two volumes would be in their own
filesystem.

If you're using a disk farm as your primary storage pool, fault
tolerance is strongly recommended. RAID0 and RAID1+0 would be more
expensive; RAID5 might make more sense, as long as you were using a
proper monitoring system (properly set up) to watch the health of your
disks. Are you using CACHE=YES in your proposed disk solution?

Berbee Information Networks