ADSM-L

Re: Archives vs Back-up sets

2004-09-17 15:48:39
Subject: Re: Archives vs Back-up sets
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:49:15 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mike Hagery
>TSM-server AIX 5.2, TSM 5.1.7.3, 3494 library 3590 drives. No
>tapes are checked out of the library, data is copied to a
>remote 3494 library
>
>Our database is growing very fast. For some reasons we have 30
>clients that archives every 4 weeks a lot of small files. In
>my opinion it is filling up the database, because every file
>is having an entry in the database. We noticed that the
>archives have never been retrieved so far, and we know that it
>is not archived for government-purposes. The retention period
>is only 3 months.
>
>Now, I was thinking of making back-ups sets in stead of
>archives, because it is only one entry in the database and
>there is no extra processing needed on the client (only back-up)

That should alleviate your database size, since entries written to
backupsets are not stored in the database. What it *will* do is start to
eat up tapes, since it is one node's backupset=1 tape.

Remember that you cannot browse a backupset. If you ever do restore
something from a backupset, you'll either have to use the QUERY
BACKUPSETCONTENTS command to find the exact directory and file to
restore, or restore the entire contents of the backupset.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627