ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?

2004-09-16 05:36:33
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:37:06 -0400
>> The procedure for doing this is documented in the Tivoli manuals. The
>> answer is: run two copies of TSM server, and have them back up their
>> databases to each other.
>
>If you have two copies of TSM server, fine. If not, you have to pay
>for your second copy. I bet it's much cheaper to buy some tapes
>and send them offline.

Storing a TSM server's database backup inside another TSM server strikes me as a
very bad idea.  Fundamental recovery such as that of a TSM server calls for
rudimentary, uncomplicated data preservation, using a technology which is not
the same as that to be recovered.

As for multiple TSM servers: Whereas we older customers remember the days when
each new server meant a whopping additional charge, my understanding of the
current licensing model is that it is wholly clients-based, such that there is
no further cost as a site decides to implement more server instances.  Of
course, that could abruptly change with an executive transition at IBM so we
need to be cautious.

  Richard Sims