ADSM-L

Re: ERROR ANS0326E on Oracle RMAN backup

2004-09-15 22:52:31
Subject: Re: ERROR ANS0326E on Oracle RMAN backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:52:31 -0400
>Yup. I know but the weird thing is, all the backup from this machine goes to
>a disk pool, not a tape pool.  The data only gets migrated to tape if the
>diskpool gets full... but max tape mounts for the secondary storage pool is
>defined on the TSM.  Plus there were no errors on the TSM activity log on
>max tape mounts reached nor was there an error on lack of scratch tapes.
>
>Any ideas about what could be the problem is welcome.

I don't know if you've seen the historic postings on the List about disk storage
pools, but they can be false idols.  Data goes into a storage pool only if the
disk storage pool is viable and there is room for the data, otherwise it seeks
the next level down in the hierarchy where there is room.  After a disk storage
pool there is tape, and there have to be sufficient drives and tapes and
permission to use the drives.  It is wholly possible that a backup may try to go
directly to tape, particularly for very large files, which is what database
backups are all about.  You need to look at your statistics and client-server
settings to see what's up, and examine your Activity Log to gauge how the
session was conducted and why.  Watch out for multiple sessions being initiated
at the same time by a client.

  Richard Sims