ADSM-L

Throughput Magic Calculation

2004-09-07 15:49:37
Subject: Throughput Magic Calculation
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:49:23 -0500
I'm trying to do some statistical calculations involving session
throguhput, so I can better adjust the two throguhput settings to kill
dead or dying sessions before they leave the log pinned so long that it
fills up. (This happened twice over Labor Day weekend, each time causing
me to get paged while at a barbecue.)

If I look at SQL variables, I see in the sessions table a START_TIME
timestamp, which is when that session started.

However, if I do QUERY SESSION F=D I get a different number, "Date/Time
First Data Sent:", which in some cases is blank, and in other cases is a
later time than the SQL start_time. How is this calculated? Obviously,
this is how the throughput calculations are performed as it decides who
is moving too slowly and should be cancelled. But where does this
information come from (i.e. which SQL variables) and how is this
calculation done?

I'm on 5.1.6.5.