ADSM-L

Re: help with lto cart problem - corrupted tape directory

2004-09-29 23:26:26
Subject: Re: help with lto cart problem - corrupted tape directory
From: Dave Canan <ddcanan AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:26:20 -0700
Len, please see my following post for your question:

        http://msgs.adsm.org/cgi-bin/get/adsm0409/94.html

At 10:57 PM 9/29/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Good Evening

I am seeing the following error on a lto gen 2 cart. Of course murphy says
that
 this is a tape that we need for a restore.

So the restore is taking forever. Which brings up several questions.

1) My fuzzy memory says that there was a special command for adsm/tsm to
handle
 this probem with 3590's Is there a tsm command for lto?

2) Does anyone have a benchmark time for how long it would take to do an audit
volume on a lto gen 2 cart to clear this problem? I assume that would
clear the
the problem.

Does the restore clear the problem for future use, or does it have to be a
read of the tape from bot to eot?

Can this cart be damaged such that the directory can not be repaired?

I tried a google search -- but only found some c code to monitor scsi devices.

I have opened a pmr, but at first pass the andr89502 comes up with hardware
errors.

ANR8950W Device mt0.0.0.7, volume UT0061L2 has issued the

 following Warning TapeAlert: The tape directory on the
 tape cartridge has been corrupted.  File search
 performance will be degraded.  The tape directory can be
 rebuilt by reading all the data on the cartridge.

Thanks for any insight -- len boyle

Dave Canan
TSM Performance
IBM Advanced Technical Support