ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-28 21:10:50
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: Sal Mangiapane <salm AT VITALDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:10:42 -0400
Johnson, Milton wrote:
 I am not quite sure what you meant by "with TSM you can use disk only
for backups instead of onsite tape".  I do not see any reason why you
can not use FILE device types for both primary and copypool stg pools.
Of course if you actually want to move a copy of the data offsite, then
you would need some type of removable media such as tape.

With data on disk a simple copy can move it hundreds of miles in seconds
or minutes.  Can't a FILE device pool be used to recover data in an
emergency?

Am I making this too simplistic?

Thanks,

Sal