ADSM-L

Re: how to speed up restores?

2004-09-24 14:37:47
Subject: Re: how to speed up restores?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:34:14 -0400
Hi, Mike - The Estimate function is supposed to be a reliable metric,
           based upon what the client has experienced in performing
backups, using information accumulated in the Windows dsm.ini file.
The numbers you're seeing make me wonder about the speed of backups,
which might warrant a look at some backups summary stats.  It might
be the case that the ethernet card is set for Auto Negotiate and is
using an incongruous value which is degrading transfers; or it could
be another such factor.  If the backup numbers look good, then I would
use them as a gauge of restoral time.  In perspective: the Estimate
function is trying to predict the future, and humans don't yet do
that well.

    Richard Sims