ADSM-L

Re: D2D on AIX

2004-09-21 23:56:46
Subject: Re: D2D on AIX
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:57:24 -0700
Tim, we recently ran a bunch of tests on client side compression.  In every
test the backup ran for 2 to 3 times longer.  In some cases this wouldn't be a
big deal when you look at the backup alone being incremental and all.  However,
we also believed that it would also cause the restore to run 2 to 3 times as
long to uncompress the data.  As a result of these tests and thoughts we
decided not to implement client side compression.

Have you run any tests to see how compression effects your backups and restores?

"Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA> wrote:
We use 5 days for reuse delay. I did a quick comparison using 25GB and 4GB
volumes on our pilot with the following results:

Disk Volumes - 25 GB Volumes

Stored Data - 236 GB
# of Disk Vols - 14 (including 2 pending volumes)
Total allocation - 14 * 25GB = 350 GB
67% Utilization

Disk Volumes - 4 GB Volumes (TSM2)
Stored Data - 333 GB
# of Disk Vols - 100 (including 12 pending volumes)
Total allocation - 100 * 4GB = 400 GB

83% Utilization

Reclamation was set at 25% for both of these.

It would be interesting to see others peoples results.

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg