ADSM-L

Re: Looking for ways to improve daily backups and Disaster Recovery

2004-09-20 08:05:21
Subject: Re: Looking for ways to improve daily backups and Disaster Recovery
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:05:09 +0200
Hi

This really depends on what type of client you're trying to restore.

For large databases, the fastest way would be to utilize the LAN-free
functionality.

For file-servers, utilizing LAN-free is not an option, as it will not
speed up the transferrate of data. If the fileserver cant be restored
utilizing normal incremental backups in an acceptable timeframe, perhaps
you should consider using image backup on a weekly basis, and backup the
images using LAN-free to a separate management class.

Usually, combining server performance and design, disk performance and
design, features like LAN-free and tape technology is the best way of
optimizing your TSM environment.

HOW you store your data is essential as well; storing directories directly
on tape, without utilizing DIRMC, can have a large performance impact on
restoration of fileservers for example.

I'd say there are multiple issues which should be adressed when optimizing
the TSM performance. Both client and server should be examined for
possible bottle necks.

Check out the TSM performance guide. Perhaps it's the first thing you
should go through.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/TSMM/SC32-9101-01/en_US/HTML/SC32-9101-01.htm
Best Regards
Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

David Browne <dbrowne AT HUMANA DOT COM>
2004-09-20 13:54
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Looking for ways to improve daily backups and Disaster Recovery

We're looking at possibly revamping our TSM system.   We've got  a OS/390
server.     Looking at all possibilities (adding disk or tape or bandwidth
to our current server   OR  changing to a different TSM server platform
like AIX)     what hardware configuration would give us the fastest D/R of
a large client?

which it is addressed and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material.  If you
receive this material/information in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy the material/information.