ADSM-L

Archives vs Back-up sets

2004-09-17 13:06:15
Subject: Archives vs Back-up sets
From: Mike Hagery <mhagery AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:54:51 +0000
Hello,

TSM-server AIX 5.2, TSM 5.1.7.3, 3494 library 3590 drives. No tapes are
checked out of the library, data is copied to a remote 3494 library

Our database is growing very fast. For some reasons we have 30 clients that
archives every 4 weeks a lot of small files. In my opinion it is filling up
the database, because every file is having an entry in the database. We
noticed that the archives have never been retrieved so far, and we know that
it is not archived for government-purposes. The retention period is only 3
months.

Now, I was thinking of making back-ups sets in stead of archives, because it
is only one entry in the database and there is no extra processing needed on
the client (only back-up)

Is someone doing the same or is it better not to do it that way?

Thanx,

Mike