ADSM-L

Re: Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool

2004-09-13 15:21:49
Subject: Re: Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool
From: Glen Hattrup <ghattrup AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:21:47 -0700
Sorry I overlooked the obvious one on that --

Running expiration or migration at the same time as your offsite volume
reclamation is definitely one of the ways to hit the ANR1173E message.

If you can schedule your migration and offsite reclamation to occur at
separate times, this will clear up.

Glen Hattrup
IBM - Tivoli Systems
Tivoli Storage Manager

Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
09/13/2004 12:13 PM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

Further comments:
I have not change the STG from non-collocated to collocated.
The _FC on my storage pool name indicated that they are Filespace
Collocated.
My MoveBatchSize is: MoveBatchSize         512
I do have a primary tape pool that the disk pool points to, see the q stg
output below.

I have one thought as to what might have caused this, what if a migration
was running at the same time?

Thanks Glen, I do have a PMR open also. Email me directly if you would
like the number.
Miles

Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Information Systems Team (IST),
Farm Income Programs Directorate (FIPD),
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
6th Floor 200 Graham Ave.           Mailing: PO box 6100
Winnipeg, MB, CA                                     R3C 4N3
R3C 4L5
Office contact:                                            Mobile contact:
 purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca purdym AT rogers.blackberry DOT net
 ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557        Cell: (204) 291-8758

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"
>>> ghattrup AT US.IBM DOT COM 13-Sep-04 12:20:19 PM >>>
>>> ghattrup AT US.IBM DOT COM 13-Sep-04 12:20:19 PM >>>
Did you recently switch your offsite pool from non-collocated to
collocated?  Making that switch can cause this to happen.

During offsite reclamation for a collocated pool, the server checks the
clustering information for the objects on the volume being reclaimed.
Clustering information is typically based upon node name, and filespace.

If / when the volume was written in a non-collocated pool, all sorts of
nodes can get thrown onto that volume.  During reclamation processing, the
server will only move one node's data at a time.  Other objects will get
skipped and you'll see the ANR1173E message.  Multiple passes are required
to fully clear the offsite volume.

Some things you can do:
-- Increase the batchsize value you're using.  Set movebatchsize ###
        I believe the default is 40, max is 1000
        I believe the default is 40, max is 1000
-- Issue move data or move node data depending upon how many nodes are on
that volume and / or the nature of the storage pool.
that volume and / or the nature of the storage pool.

An additional step is to have a primary tape pool that the disk pool
migrates to.  The logic for offsite volume reclamation is slightly
different when the copy resides in a tape (sequential) pool instead of on
disk.  The server retries the reclamation (reprocesses the volume) more
when the copies are on tape.

Glen Hattrup
IBM - Tivoli Systems
Tivoli Storage Manager

Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
09/13/2004 06:56 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool

TSM server 5.2.3.1 on AIX 5.1 ML 5

On the weekend I got 1300 messages like the following:

09/11/04 10:02:17 ANR1173E Space reclamation for offsite volume(s) cannot
copy file in storage pool DISKDATA_SMALL: Node UNXV, Type Backup, File
space /, fsId 1, File name /DisasterRecoveryPlan/ 20040906.084014.

09/11/04 10:17:24 ANR1173E Space reclamation for offsite volume(s) cannot
copy file in storage pool DISKDATA_FC: Node UNXP, Type Backup, File space
/home/ncss_batch, fsId 5, File name /bin.prod/logs_ncss/log_backup/
frd001s.040806.20:22:39.rpt.

The problem is with two disk storage pools. Although I have several more
disk storage pools, only these two caused problems.

I searched the archives already, but all the help was for tape pools. What
do I do when it is a disk storage pool?

Thanks Miles

Extra info:

tsm: UNXR>q stg diskdata_fc f=d

               Storage Pool Name: DISKDATA_FC
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 50 G
                        Pct Util: 74.9
                        Pct Migr: 0.9
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 50
                     Low Mig Pct: 0
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes: 4
               Next Storage Pool: BACKUP_FC
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
collocate
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?: Yes
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 650.48
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 264
        Reclamation in Progress?:
Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
           Last Update Date/Time: 09/12/04   23:45:16
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native
            Copy Storage Pool(s):
         Continue Copy on Error?:
                        CRC Data: No

tsm: UNXR>q stg backup_fc f=d

               Storage Pool Name: BACKUP_FC
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: 3580
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 28 610 G
                        Pct Util: 0.3
                        Pct Migr: 6.7
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 99
                     Low Mig Pct: 50
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
collocate
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: Filespace
           Reclamation Threshold: 99
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 150
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 1 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
           Last Update Date/Time: 08/27/03   07:38:04