ADSM-L

Re: Expiration performance

2004-09-10 13:10:41
Subject: Re: Expiration performance
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:10:36 -0600
        Yes, interesting stats. On all my TSM servers, they get above 5M pages
for the DB backup, but none of them are above 3.8M objects on the expire
inventory. Some in the 2M, others only in the .5 M range.

        These random thoughts pointed at the group, not necessarily Joe.

        Since my db backups (sequential reads) go well, but the expire
inventory (random reads and writes) are slow, might that point to DB
fragmentation? Improper tuning of TSM buffers? Overcommittal of the fast-write
disk cache? Bad karma?

        One would think that the more files deleted during the expire
inventory, the longer it will take for the expire inventory to progress? No? I
can run 2 expire inventories in a row and the second one goes much much quicker
because there are very few changes to the DB to be made. It seems like the
performance on the "number of objects examined" is really one of those "your
mileage may vary" kind of stats.

        Perhaps I'm not getting the performance I should out of the
expiration...

Ben