ADSM-L

Recovering destroyed tape

2004-09-09 12:28:25
Subject: Recovering destroyed tape
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:28:23 -0400
We recently had a tape eaten by one of our 3590 drives.

This tape was a primary storage volume.

I dutifully did the RESTORE xxxxxx PREVIEW=YES and had them bring back the
24-offsite tapes it wanted.

However, eventhough the restore supposedly went successfull, I got the
error message that "some files could not be restored".

Also, every day the server complains that it can't reclaim the tape since
it is now marked as "destroyed".

How do I figure out what wasn't restored ?   Everything should have been
on the offsite tapes ?

Am I going to have to do a DELETE VOL xxxxxx DISCARDDATA=YES to get rid of
the tape, once and for all ?