ADSM-L

Windows unattended client upgrade scenario; how to uninstall v3 and v4 clients unattended?

2004-09-07 12:38:23
Subject: Windows unattended client upgrade scenario; how to uninstall v3 and v4 clients unattended?
From: "Anthonijsz, Marcel M SITI-ITIBHL" <Marcel.Anthonijsz AT SHELL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:38:21 +0200
Hi all,

I am currently trying to fix and align our Windows installed TSM Client
base, and as we neglected this in the past, we have a variety of TSM
Client versions in the field.

We have about 200 NT clients that need updating. I want to create an
unattended install script to seamlessly install the latest TSM client for
Windows NT (5.1.7.3) or Windows 2000. (5.2.3.1). Now the install part
(is..) looks easy with MSIEXEC, the difficult part is the uninstall of
the v3 and v4 clients.

These are the TSM Client versions we have out there:

3.7.2.0
4.1.0.0
4.2.0.0
4.2.1.20
4.2.3.0
4.2.3.4
5.1.1.0
5.1.5.0

Now all Version 5 release notes say that first we need to uninstall the
V4 and V3 Client software. But how should that be done unattended ????

All documents say :
"Open the Control Panel and double click on the Add/Remove Programs icon"
but that's not what I call unattended :-(. I have searched the list, but
could not find a definite answer, nor in any Tivoli documentation.

Any more gotcha's I'll need to know for the upgrades?

Thanks for all the wisdom,

Marcel Anthonijsz
Global Data Storage Manager (a.k.a. storman)
Shell Information Technology International B.V.
PO Box 1027, 2260 BA  Leidschendam, The Netherlands

T: +31-70 303 4984
F: +31-70 303 4011
E: Marcel.Anthonijsz.atsign.shell.com
Internet: http://www.shell.com