ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange 5.5

2004-09-02 17:04:27
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange 5.5
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 14:00:39 -0700
At one point there was an issue with having a TDP which was not unicode and a
Windows backup which was unicode connecting under the same node name.  As a
result it was recommended not to use the same node name for TDP backups if they
were on windows systems where the windows backup was unicode.

Do you know if this is still an issue?  I know may people who still keep the
TDP backups under a seperate node name. I still due this mainly because we had
to do that at one time.

Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET> wrote:
Is there a specific reason you have a separate scheduler service for the TDP
backups? You could schedule your TDP backups via the standard nodename for
the server and that service. This is a positive in a couple ways:

1. Only 1 scheduler service on the client
2. The backups are single-streamed since TSM will only run 1 schedule at a
time. Your filesystem backups won't interfer with the TDP backups.

Just schedule both backups through the same nodename. The TDP backups are an
ACTION=COMMAND schedule. The script file that gets executed on the client
runs the TDPEXCC.EXE. There is a DSM.OPT file specified for the TDP agent.
When the TDP backup starts it connects back up to TSM server under that
nodename. This TDP backup doesn't have anything to do with the nodename
specified in the scheduler service.

And since the TDP agents now participate in TSM version and each has their
own filespace names, you don't even need to have a separate nodename for TDP
backups. With include statements you can specify the management class so you
don't need a separate domain/nodename for that. Except for those TDP agents
that don't do versioning...like Oracle.

Bill Boyer
"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield." - ??