ADSM-L

Re: NetWare NDS backup

2004-09-02 10:19:15
Subject: Re: NetWare NDS backup
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:18:39 -0500
You are correct that there is no such thing as an incremental NDS
backup.  That being said, I'm a little confused why your backups of it
would take so long.  We have a relatively large tree (in the 10's of
thousands of objects), and the disk space taken up is only ~300MB.
That's on a replica of the root partition, so it holds the entire tree.

Do you run Zenworks with imported workstations, or something else that
populates huge numbers of objects in the tree?  If not, then your backup
shouldn't take that long.  Ours finishes in less 15/20min usually.
Couple things to check....
 Only run NDS backups against one node that has a replica of root.
 Find out how big (in disk space) your tree is, then compare to the
RAM available on the server.  Netware tries to cache all of NDS in RAM
if possible, so adding more RAM to the server could help.  You can check
this using remote management through web browser (serverip:8008).
There's a stat in there saying how much memory is in use for NDS
caching.  If the box is low on memory, it might not be
caching everything it could.
Along with RAM I would look at the other components of the box.  What
kind of processor/disk subsystem are you using? Do the file backups from
this box also run slow?  If the box is beefy enough, maybe try upping
the "Resource Utilization" in dsm.opt by 1, to potentially give NDS its
own session with the backup server.  Maybe the NIC driver needs
updating, or you need to check for speed/duplex mismatches with the
switch?
 This one I'm not sure about, but could having a lot of replicas slow
down NDS backups?  A lot of sync traffic might have an affect.  Then
general rule of thumb is exactly 3 replicas of each partition, unless
you've got a specific reason to do otherwise.

Good luck, and let me know if you figure it out.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

>>> Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU 9/1/2004 1:28:02 PM >>>
TSMers,

TSM server 5.2.2 on AIX 5.2.2
TSM cliient NetWare 6.5

We were setting up a few new NetWare NDS replica servers (xSeries 345)
and tried NDS incremental backup. I noticed that;

1. 'dsmc i NDS:' will backup all the objects again and again as if
there is no true incremental backup of it. Documentation says about
'domain' option for ENTIRE NDS bacckup. So, do I have no choice, but
backing up the entire objects every night?
2. NDS backup was taking too long. Changed dsm.opt parameters; tcpw
64;
txnb=25600 and it helped a little bit. Any other suggestion on tunning
parameter for NetWare client backup?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Gus

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.