ADSM-L

Disaster Recovery Manager

2004-09-02 08:42:36
Subject: Disaster Recovery Manager
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:42:27 -0400
Hello All!

I believe that I am a little confused as to what/how DR Manager is and
works? I have looked at the manual, but things still don't make sense to me
and I didn't want to wait until everything was configured due to the fact
that I might be having a DR drill in December and we haven't even begun
moving things to the new environment.

1a.  I first looked at define machine and it appears as if I have to define
the TSM server and all nodes that I wish to restore at a DR site?
1b.  Then you define the machine node association which seems as if you
just associate all of the nodes to the tsm server that you wish to restore
from.  Why is this needed?  You would think that this is naturally assumed
since this is where it has been backed up/defined...
1c.  Define Recovery Media - not quite sure what this is... There is a type
of boot or other?  I'm not quite sure what this section is for?  It's not
very clear!
1d.  Define Media Machine Association - Still confused about this portion
as well.  When it is stated that the recovery media is to: Select the name
of the recovery media to be associated with one or more machines. Do they
mean TSM server machines or node machines?

2. DRM Offsite Recovery Media - Currently we just take all of our tapes
that have been vaulted to the DR site that were created before the DBB that
we use for our DR.  I'm not quite sure what the commands portion of this
querying does?  Why/what would you specify here?

3a.  Create Recovery Plan File - Where do companies usually store this
file?  When you go down to DR, where do you begin?  I mean, what is the
starting point?  Where do you begin?
3b.  Do you use a dbbackup or a dbsnapshot?  Why would you ever want to use
a snapshot?  You first have to restore the entire db before moving on...

4.  How often do you create the plan and how long do you retain the plans?

I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am moving to a brand new TSM AIX 5.2.2.5
environment from the mainframe and everything is very cloudy.  Currently we
just restore our TSM envrironment by restoring our DB & recovery log
volumes and starting up the tsm server, but now everything has changed and
I'm not really sure how to restore this new environment or even where to
begin.  If anyone is willing to share a step by step plan/process of your
recovery I would appreciate it!  It might give me a direction on how/where
this will be accomplished.  Thank you in advance!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603