ADSM-L

Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM DB

2004-09-01 19:39:34
Subject: Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM DB
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:39:30 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Yuhico, Alexandra
>I have a TSM server with 99.4 % Pct Util and I need to add more space.
>The TSM DBs are on mirrored volumes and I don't have enough
>spare space to create additional mirrored volumes. I'd like to
>break the volumes and then add more space but I can't afford
>any down time for this.
>
>I can't seem to find any considerations, contingencies in case
>DEL DBVOL fails.  I just want to cover all my bases.
>
>Anyone with insight as to what could go wrong and some
>detailed steps on doing this would be appreciated.

If you're at 99.4% of capacity, you're not going to be able to run
DELETE DBVOL (unless you have some little-bitty volumes); DEL DBVOL will
move all database data from the volume you wish to delete, and then
remove the pointer TSM uses to use the volume. (The actual file used is
not physically deleted until you do that manually.) If there's no room
to move that data to, your DELETE DBVOL will fail.

(The following process assumes that you have the ability to add
additional hard disks on your system without bringing the system down.)

1. Break the disk mirror (assuming you can do this without bringing the
OS down).
2. Add your additional hard disks.
3. Remirror the disks.
4. Create your additional TSM db vol(s).

As long as the mirror break, disk addition, and disk remirror can be
done at the OS level without shutting your system down, you should be in
good shape. (And do it quickly--99.4% may be all right for Dove Soap's
purity, but it'll suck for your TSM environment if you fill the db to
capacity.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627