ADSM-L

Re: NetWare NDS backup

2004-09-01 18:52:01
Subject: Re: NetWare NDS backup
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:51:25 +1000
While we are on the topic,

What is the best strategy for backing up NDS?

We have district sites with tape libraries and remote sites with Netware
clients that will either backup directly to the district TSM server, or to a
local tsm server with disk only and the copypool is on the district server.

What's the best NDS strategy for a remote site? Maybe NDS backup of the remote
site weekly and let replication catch it up if a restore is necessary?

I'm not really a Netware guy so any real-life stuff is appreciated.

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane, Australia

>>> Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU 02/09/2004 4:28:02 >>>
TSMers,

TSM server 5.2.2 on AIX 5.2.2
TSM cliient NetWare 6.5

We were setting up a few new NetWare NDS replica servers (xSeries 345)
and tried NDS incremental backup. I noticed that;

1.  'dsmc i NDS:' will backup all the objects again and again as if
there is no true incremental backup of it. Documentation says about
'domain' option for ENTIRE NDS bacckup. So, do I have no choice, but
backing up the entire objects every night?
2. NDS backup was taking too long. Changed dsm.opt parameters; tcpw 64;
txnb=25600 and it helped a little bit. Any other suggestion on tunning
parameter for NetWare client backup?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Gus

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.