ADSM-L

Re: Include/Exclude Question

2004-09-01 14:42:39
Subject: Re: Include/Exclude Question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:41:49 -0400
On Sep 1, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Mike wrote:

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Jones, Kelli wrote:

This may be a strange question, but...we just had a TSM consultant
here and he said that the dsm.opt file is read from bottom to top.
Is this correct?  Does placement of the statements matter either way?

that's what I've read in the manuals

I've been around the product for years, and have never seen any
indication that the client option file(s) is read from the bottom to
the top. In terms of data processing, that doesn't even make sense:
sequential files are physically read from the beginning to the end.

From what I perceive, the client software compiles the options
definitions as it reads the file from beginning to end. It then
processes them as needed. In the case of Include-Exclude statements,
they are subsequently processed from last to first.

Placement of statements matters as defined in the manuals, such as
requirements that some statements appear within server stanzas.

    Richard Sims