ADSM-L

Multiple device class question on 3584 library

2004-08-31 14:40:34
Subject: Multiple device class question on 3584 library
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:41:29 -0400
(NOTE: I am resending this as I got ADSM rejected message last night
and have not seen any responses.)

I have TSM server 5.2.3.0 on AIX connected to 3584 library with
(8) LTO1 drives and newly added (4) LTO2 drives.  Drives are FC.
I have one logical library and two devclasses, LTO and LTO2.
Working o.k.  Have new clients using LTO2 tapes.  LTO1 tapes
will use LTO2 drives if LTO1 drives are full.  Working fine.

Now, I want to "move" some old clients to LTO2 tapes.  I have
looked at Redbooks and don't seem to cover exactly all the details
and what I specifically want to do.  I have TWO large clients that
have their own disk pool and tape stgpools.

MSEDISK --> MSETAPE  --> MSECOPY

Is the order.  Each tape for each day will normally expire
without reclaimation in less than one week.  I don't want
to take the time to actually "copy" the  data to LTO2 tapes.
Is what I have below the simple way?

1.  Create new Stgpools MSETAPE2 and MSECOPY2 with
 devclass = LTO2.

2. Update so new path is:

MSEDISK --> MSETAPE2  --> MSECOPY2

3.  Update DRM to handle new stgpools.

Then when next backup runs, the tapes used are LTO2
tapes.  If I have to do a restore, it will use whichever devclass
tape the data is on - very important!  After a week, the old LTO1
tapes will all be expired and I can delete the old tape stgpools,
which will have no data anymore.

Is that too simple and I missed something?

Thanks,

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.