ADSM-L

Re: Need to keep data for a client forever

2004-08-26 15:23:45
Subject: Re: Need to keep data for a client forever
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:24:02 -0400
> There's a somewhat easier way:
> 1. Create a new management class for the domain the node currently
> belongs to. Make sure this new class contains a backup copygroup that
> sets number of copies kept to UNLIMITED.
> 2. Edit the node's client option file to contain the line
>         include *:\...\* <new_mgmtclass>
> 3. Stop and start the node's TSM scheduler service.
>
> You can even modify the include statement to only affect the directories
> containing data.

As far as I know, backups of files that had been deleted from the client
would not get rebound to the new management class as a result of the
above procedure. Such backups would age off according to the retention
parameters of the management class they were assigned to when the
corresponding client file was deleted.