ADSM-L

Re: Need to keep data for a client forever

2004-08-26 15:15:22
Subject: Re: Need to keep data for a client forever
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:11:15 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Thomas Denier
>>I use TSM 5.1.6.0 and have a situation where they need me to not
>>expire any data for A particular node [including those already backed
>>up].  There is a lot of clients using same policy /management class
>>that should not have their expiration changed. I would like to know
>>what would be the cleanest way to accomplish this.  We backup about
>>500GB/week for this node [just to give an idea of data size
>>if I have to do a move nodedata]
>
>Offhand, I can think of only one reasonable approach:
>
>1.Use 'copy domain' to create a copy of the policy domain the
>node is in.
>2.Update the retention parameters in the copy groups in the new domain.
>3.Activate the appropriate policy set.
>4.Use 'update node' to move the node to the new policy domain.
>
>If the node has scheduled backups, you will need to copy the
>schedule from the old domain and associate it with the node.
>You might need to restart the client scheduler process or
>service. We have always found this necessary when moving
>clients that use the prompted scheduling mode. Reports from
>other sites suggest that the restart is not necessary for
>clients that use the polling mode.

There's a somewhat easier way:
1. Create a new management class for the domain the node currently
belongs to. Make sure this new class contains a backup copygroup that
sets number of copies kept to UNLIMITED.
2. Edit the node's client option file to contain the line
        include *:\...\* <new_mgmtclass>
3. Stop and start the node's TSM scheduler service.

You can even modify the include statement to only affect the directories
containing data.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627