ADSM-L

Synchronous tape ejects

2004-08-23 15:23:25
Subject: Synchronous tape ejects
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:22:07 -0400
We are preparing to migrate our TSM server from z/OS to mainframe Linux.
Both old and new servers will use a 3494 tape library. The z/OS server
relies on z/OS to handle tape library management. As a result, it does
not have a 'checkout libvol' command, or a 'remove' option for 'move
drmedia'.

The documentation for the 'checkout libvol' command indicates that the
command will not complete until a slot in the convenience I/O station
is available. This would be a significant nuisance for us. The TSM
server will problably eject about 30 volumes per day, and the surviving
z/OS applications will eject even larger numbers of volumes from the
same 3494.

Will the 'checkout libvol' command really wait for an empty I/O slot?
Will a 'move drmedia' command with 'remove=yes' also wait for an empty
I/O slot?