ADSM-L

Re: Large Domino systems to LTO drives

2004-08-18 12:28:50
Subject: Re: Large Domino systems to LTO drives
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:28:57 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU
>I am working on moving current Lotus Domino backups to an LTO2
>drive system since the Domino systems will be growing to 2-3TB
>in size (or more).
>
>I am looking for performance hints/suggestions/ideas,
>specifically related to Domino TDP backups !
>
>Obviously, it will have to go straight-to-tape !

Not necessarily. You will have a number of small files (mailboxes, etc.)

>I would also need to rotate/vary the DSM.OPT file being used
>for regular backups versus big-to-LTO backups.

Again, not necessarily.

Set up a new disk storage pool with a NEXTSTGPOOL definition of your
primary tape pool. Create a new domain and define all Domino nodes to
belong to that domain; set the copy destination of the copygroup of the
default management class of the new domain to the new disk pool.
(Conversely, you can create a non-default management class within the
existing domain, and use the Domino dsm.opt file to backup Domino files
using the new management class's rules.)

Set the max filesize of the new disk pool to, say, 5GB. All files that
are larger than 5GB will automatically go to the primary tape pool.

So, when the Domino node(s) backs up, all files < 5GB will go to the new
disk pool; all files > 5GB will go to the primary tape pool.

--
Mark Stapleton