ADSM-L

Re: Restoring SQL Database Question

2004-08-18 08:36:11
Subject: Re: Restoring SQL Database Question
From: "Leonard, Christopher" <christopher-leonard AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:36:12 -0500
Jeff,

I didn't see anybody reply with anything better than what I know, so I
thought I'd chime in.  To do this, you will need to use TDPSQLC to query the
TSM database for /ALL backups - not just the active ones.  For example,
"tdpsqlc query tsm mydatabase /all".  Then you need to parse the output,
looking at the "Backup Creation Date / Time" to select the backups you
require.  Then you need to make appropriate calls to tdpsqlc, using the
strings listed as the "Database Object Name," so that you can perform the
restores.  Remember, if you are restoring more than just a single full
backup, each restore command except the last one should specify
/recovery=no.  This prevents the rollback portion of the recovery process so
that subsequent backups can be applied to move the recovery forward in time.
The last restore command should specify /recovery=yes.  This allows the
rollback portion of recovery to complete so that the database can be opened
for normal use.

I don't know of any way to force the /all query to return a subset of
objects based on the time you want to recover to, or how to get the output
in a more usable format.  That would be nice, by the way, Del:  a command to
show me just the objects required to perform a PIT recovery to a time prior
to the currently active backup.  It would be even better if the objects came
back in a more immediately usable format, such as a comma-separated list of
TSM database object names or (to shoot the moon) a list of appropriate
TDPSQLC commands.  Maybe I can submit a request for that once my AIX friends
tell me where to send them.  Without such output, doing what Jeff is talking
about is a little tedious ... and we haven't written a script yet to parse
the "query tsm ... /all" output and automatically produce the correct
restore commands.  Has anybody else written an automatable script that can
do this?

Cheers,
Chris