ADSM-L

Slow backupset restore, a cry for help

2004-08-17 06:27:10
Subject: Slow backupset restore, a cry for help
From: Giedrius Jankauskas <Giedrius.Jankauskas AT MICROLINK DOT LT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:27:09 +0300
Hello Gentelmen,

I have browsed through forums and newsgroups but failed to find an
answer. I have read that backupset generation can be a slow process,
however, I am experiencing a slow restore from backupset. The backupset
generation takes aproximately 8  (3 lto tapes) hours, however, now I see
that the dsmsvc.exe I/O read bytes rate is only 1.5MB/sec . This is
unbelievebly slow and I cannot find the reason for this. I have read
that the previous versions of TSM client (4.*) had problems with
backupset performance, but not the 5.1.* release. What can influence the
restore performance so drastically ? Why is reading backupset so much
slower than generating one ? Regular file restore/backup to tape
functions properly and reaches 15MB/s. I do not expect that with the
backupset as there is some information processing going on, but no
1.5MB/s while the cpu is almost idle.

Environment :
IBM LTO3600 single drive
Windows 2003 server
TSM Version 5, Release 1, Level 5.0
Both the client and server is located on the same machine and has the
library connected via scsi.

Please help !!!
Desperate.