ADSM-L

IBMTape on Solaris servers device drivers

2004-08-11 15:16:26
Subject: IBMTape on Solaris servers device drivers
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:16:05 -0400
Hello All!

We are trying to install the IBMTape device driver on our Solaris servers
that will do LAN-free data transfer to our LTO2 tape drives.  The
individual installing the driver cannot see one of our drives and I was
wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue?  Thank you!

Ref:  IBM_ultrium_tape_IUG.pdf

The above PDF document pertains to installation and configuration of the
IBM Ultrium LTO2 Tape Device Drivers.  The driver which we had downloaded
and installed is the:

      Version 4.0.9.3

A brief description of the HARDWARE involved in this installation:

      Fujitsu PrimePower 850
      Solaris 8
      Emulex LP9000 HBA

Normally, when we have DISKS connected via SCSI and/or via JNI HBAs, our
"sd.conf" file reflects:

      name="sd" class="scsi" target=<target> lun=<lun>;

However, when we use EMULEX cards, the format of the entries change to:

      name="sd" parent="lpfc" target=<target> lun=<lun>;

Note the change from "class="scsi"" to "parent="lpfc"".....

I would not think that the FORMAT of the SD.conf and the ST.conf would be
that much different.....therefore, I am of the thinking that it MAY make
sense that the entries in the "st.conf" would ALSO reflect "lpfc" IF Emulex
HBAs are involved.

The purpose of this query is to get a determination of what the entries
should reflect in the "st.conf" IF using EMULEX (lp9000) HBAs.....

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603