ADSM-L

Re: Tape Drive Compression over TSM Compression

2004-08-10 15:47:22
Subject: Re: Tape Drive Compression over TSM Compression
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:46:48 -0400
At 02:08 PM 8/9/2004, Bruno Melo - Suporte Informática wrote:
what are the implications on doing this?
I saw on the Redbooks that this is not recommended!

From empirical analysis, DLT7000 drives do not automatically detect that compressing data is actually expanding it. We opted to not use drive compression on DLT7000/8000 for that reason.

For LTO, we were told that the algorithm automatically detects this situation, and will disable compression for data that would actually expand. For this reason, we do use drive compression for our LTO1 and LTO2 drives.

--
Paul Zarnowski                         Ph: 607-255-4757
719 Rhodes Hall, Cornell University    Fx: 607-255-8521