ADSM-L

Re: Indentifying archived/backed up volume numbers?

2004-08-06 16:49:35
Subject: Re: Indentifying archived/backed up volume numbers?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:42:09 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mike Bantz
>Can you try running the restore command with "preview=yes"?
>That **should**
>give you an idea of what volumes the system will request, I believe.

That would be nice...if "preview" were a valid option for data restores.
The only preview I'm aware of for similar functions is the "preview=yes"
flag for restoring an entire pool volume from copy pool volumes.

This list has done this subject to death in the last year. The only
possible way to find which volume a file is on is to perform a proper
select statement on the content table, and on a system of any size, such
a statement would probably eat up recovery log space and bring the
server down (if it ever even got *that* far).

If you're getting a "file currently unavailable on server", that means
that 1) the volume you need is marked unavailable, or 2) the volume you
need has been removed from the library improperly.

--
Mark Stapleton