ADSM-L

Re: FC 3590E1A per HBA

2004-08-06 08:29:12
Subject: Re: FC 3590E1A per HBA
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:15:10 +0200
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:08:34 -0700
rh <rh_info_store AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw somewhere in the list that IBM recommends two
> 3590 FC drives per HBA. Is this published somewhere or
> just "word of mouth"? If there is a planning document
> that discusses this I would be interested in the link.
> I currently have 16 drives across four 6228 HBA's on
> an AIX box. I've seen some discussions and math about
> throughput etc., but there should be some rule of
> thumb that can guide me to whether I have a
> "reasonable' configuration or not. HBA's aren't cheap
> so I'd hate to require 8 of them.

Well, you could do the math:

a 3590 does somewhere between 15 and 20 MB/s

a HBA does either 100 or 200 MB/s, and will perform at about half of
that, maybe a bit better.

So if you have 16 drives,, they will generate about 320 MB/s of data.

If you have 4 2 GB/s HBA's they will do about 400-600 MB/s so you're ok,
if you have 4 1 GB/s HBA's they will do between 200 and 300 MB/s, so you
might not get the maximum performance out of your drives.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams