ADSM-L

Re: D2D vs. tape backups with TSM?

2004-07-30 11:21:20
Subject: Re: D2D vs. tape backups with TSM?
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:20:56 -0500
Both can be used, both have advantages and disadvantages.

TSM development is focusing efforts on File Device Class.

Search the archives for some info on which to use
(http://msgs.adsm.org/cgi-bin/get/adsm0406/106.html)

Check out the 5.2 Admin guide - it has a nice table comparing disk vs file.

The biggest drawbacks of disk to me are - no reclamation of aggregates and
no multi-session restore. (See the comparisons for more).