ADSM-L

Re: migration from unix to windows

2004-07-28 22:04:22
Subject: Re: migration from unix to windows
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:04:10 -0700
Depending on the network connection it is much faster to export the data and
import it in one step. You don't use virtual volumes just he server to server
communications.  Before this all in one step using server to server was slower.
 Now I believe it is faster.

We have migrated many nodes from one server to another as we have expanded over
the years.  We have found that it very easy to export nodes who have 100 - 500
GB of data in TSM.  For nodes over 500 GB you may still be able to export if
you have 1 Gb NIC's.  If not then you may need to cut over the large servers
with new full backups.

We just got done migrating 800 or so nodes from 4 older Intel servers 3 new
Intel Servers. The purpose wasn't just to upgrade the hardware because we could
have DR'd onto the new systems for that.  We were moving from an all Tape
solution to a solution where all files under 3GB would stay on ATA disk.

As Wanda stated though if both systems need to use the same library at the same
time then you will need to set up library sharing.  In our case we use STK 9310
silo's and Gresham's EDT software so all our systems can easily share the
libraries.

"Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU> wrote:
Yes, I have done it.

There is no direct or easy way to move a TSM system from one platform to
another.
The data and the TSM data base are not in a compatible format between
Windows & AIX.

If it is practical for you, the simple solution is to start clients backing
up to the new Windows server,
and just keep the old AIX server around until the data expires. For that to
work you would need a new tape library, or need to SHARE your tape library
between the two TSM servers for a while.

If you want to move the data to the new Windows TSM server and you have
compatible media (same type of drives in the tape library), you can EXPORT
the data from the old server, and IMPORT it into the new server. For this
to work, you should be sure that the new AIX TSM server is at the same level
(5.1.6) as your old server. This is obviously takes a lot of time for you.

If you don't have compatible media, you can set up server-to-server
communications (if you have the DRM license, or TSM Extended Edition) and
send the data from one server to the other. This takes even more time to
do.

It is a not a trivial project, no matter which way you do it.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
443-778-8769

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Dilbert/Scott Adams