ADSM-L

Re: Pre-Initialized Tapes - do they need to be labeled?

2004-07-26 10:13:44
Subject: Re: Pre-Initialized Tapes - do they need to be labeled?
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:12:49 -0400
In our case, where TSM runs on our MVS (actually Z\OS) instance this is
the case. We have never had to go through the label process.

I would question whether it would be so if the library was partitioned.

Fred Johanson wrote:

We've been ordering "pre-labelled" 3590 carts since we went to the 3494 in ADSM
V2.  Never had a problem.

Quoting Dave Canan <ddcanan AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>:

        I am throwing this out the list to get an answer. If you order
"pre-labeled" tapes to use with TSM, does this mean that they do not need
to go through the "label libv" process? This may seem like a silly
question, but we have a customer who want to order pre-labeled (and
barcoded) tapes, but I always thought that meant labeled for use by an MVS
system, not necessarily for use by a TSM system. They are ordering a large
batch of tapes, and if they don't have to be "labeled" with TSM, this could
save them a lot of time. Thanks for any answers to this.

Fred Johanson

--
Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems