ADSM-L

Problem with 3582 on Solaris 9

2004-07-23 09:07:48
Subject: Problem with 3582 on Solaris 9
From: Steve Hartland <SteveH AT LECHABILESS.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:10:10 +0200
Hi all
        I am having a bit of an arm wrestle getting TSM to write to LTO2 drives
in a 3582 library. Config as follows:

TSM 5.2.2.0 (also tried 5.2.0.0)
Solaris 5.9
Direct fibre attached to 2 drives.
Drive firmware 38D0 (latest on web)
IBMtape (latest on web dated 19 May)

Problem description:
When trying to label tape, library mounts tape in drive, rewinds tape, and
unloads it without appearing to write to it. TSM reports I/O error with KEY,
ASC and ASCQ all zero. TSM then reports that the volume has been labeled and
even checks it in. q libv shows volser present as scratch. Backup attempt fails
exactly the same as label libv attempt.
Drive entries in output of dmesg command seem to be correct. Have tried all 8
/dev/rmt options eg. 0st,0stc, etc. All fail
Have also tried with and without the TSM Device Driver.
Even tried configuring drive as manual and manually load tape. Still fails.

The strange thing is that write and read back using TAR command works fine on
both drives.

Hair being depleted.

Any ideas

Regards,