ADSM-L

Re: strange behavior by novell restore touching carts twice

2004-07-21 09:08:53
Subject: Re: strange behavior by novell restore touching carts twice
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:08:18 -0400
> We had a point in time restore from Novell client (GUI).
> Runtime about 1.5 hours and restored 6.5MB.
> The restore-process needed 2 3590E carts twice and 1 3590E for 3 times.
> Other 9 3590E tapes for onetime.(11 Volumes for 200GB total?)

> Is it normal the tapes are needed more then one time? Do i missing some
restore
> parameter?  (for example like 'noquery')

I have seen tapes mounted twice for one restore to Windows and Unix.
As far as I can tell, this happens because files spanned across two
or more tapes are not handled very intelligently. For example, TSM
will mount a tape that ends with the first segment of a spanned file,
mount the tape containing the rest of the file, mount some other tapes,
and then remount the second tape to read files contained entirely on
that tape.