ADSM-L

Re: TSM Client V5.2.2.10 for Windows 2000/2003

2004-07-20 12:22:44
Subject: Re: TSM Client V5.2.2.10 for Windows 2000/2003
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:21:53 -0600
> As I mentioned the majority of my Windows 2000 servers have TSM Client
> V5.1 and have had no problems with backing up 'domain all-local'.  Then
> we started installing V5.2.2 on Windows 2003 and started seeing the
> 'RC=12 error message'.   We scrubbed that version and started installing
> with V5.2.2.10.  We occasionally see this 'RC=12' problem failed back
> ups even using V5.2.2.10.

Understood.... but that is not specific enough for me to offer any more
substantive help ("vague in, vague out"  :-). RC 12 merely indicates that
the operation finished in error. Without the detail in your dsmsched.log
and dsmerror.log files (which are included in the dsminfo.txt file), I
don't know specifically what errors you encountered. There is no one
single solution to the " 'RC=12' problem".

It should be noted that starting with version 5.2, the TSM client uses a
different mechanism, the Microsoft Volume Snapshop Services (VSS) for
backing up Windows 2003 system state, whereas version 5.1 uses the
"legacy" mechanisms that are also used for versions of Windows below 2003.
In order to use the 5.2 client to back up Windows 2003 system state, you
*must* have a version 5.2 TSM server as well.

> I was working with IBM Support on these issues and this is the solution
> that was generated from them:
>
> "The problem documented in the Apar IC38377 is generated by the TSM
> Client, then upgrading the TSM Server does not fix the problem, it is
> fixed if the current Client is upgraded to v5.2.2.10.

I don't have enough information to discern wither IC38377 is the correct
diagnosis.

> To split the backups you should modify in the dsm.opt file, the line:
>
>       Domain All-Local
>
> changing it to:
>
>       Domain C: D:
>
> With this change, the current scheduled task will perform the backup of
> all the information on the C and D disks but not the OS files.
>
> Then you can create a command file (for example OSfiles.cmd) in the
> directory Baclient, with the instructions to backup the System State,
> System Services and the ASR files:
>
>       dsmc backup systemstate
>       dsmc backup systemservices
>       dsmc backup asr
>
> And also a new scheduled task in the TSM Server must be created to run
> the command file OSfiles.cmd, this schedule will use ACTION=COMMAND and
> OBJECTS=OSfiles (<-- or the name you chose for the cmd file).

This might be fine as an alternative method or "best practice" for backup
up of system state on Windows 2003, but it is not a "solution". You should
be able to back up system state as part of DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL if that is
what you want to do. Something else is wrong.

Regards,

Andy