ADSM-L

Re: Write Protected tapes not set to ReadO - and Mounted Again and Again....

2004-07-20 07:37:13
Subject: Re: Write Protected tapes not set to ReadO - and Mounted Again and Again....
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:36:56 -0400
>One of the tapes needed for back-up stg Tape to Copy appeared to be set
>to write protect. I expected ITSM to set the tape to READO and never ask
>for it again as long as it wasn't fixed. To my surprise ITSM didn't set
>the tape to READO and tried to write to it again, again failing the
>process and not setting the tape to READO.

Hi, Karel:

As you say, that behavior certainly doesn't make a lot of sense.  The Messages
manual fails to specify how TSM treats the tape after the ANR8463E message which
acknowledges TSM's understanding that the volume is write-protected, and I don't
see any items on the IBM site addressing the behavior except for a 2002 APAR
IC35232 which says that the code was fixed to handle your case, of a library
manager failing to report the tape's status to the library client.
Question on context:  Was it the case at the time that TSM was short on tapes,
which *might* have incited it to keep trying the bogey?

>Question: Is it working as designed?

If it is, then certainly redesign is in order.  In any case, this is worth
reporting to TSM Support.

   Richard Sims