ADSM-L

Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-19 14:50:01
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:49:45 -0500
As someone who has migrated from Burroughs Medium Systems (B3900) to
Honeywell (DPS-8) to IBM (4381, 3090, 9672 - MVS, MVS-XA, MVS-ESA) to
IBM RS/6000, I have to agree with Andrew. Any long-term archiving
mandated by the business MUST include archiving of the data in an
UNLOADED format - either csv or fixed field, ascii format (no binary or
packed fields). In addition, the human-readable database schema and
subschemas and the source code to the unload and reload programs need to
be archived.

The cost for this is not trivial. The unload/reload programs should be
tested out. Just about any non-trivial database will take long enough to
flat-file that you'll need to run the process from a copy of the
original. And once it's been unloaded, you need to manage the results.

I would be inclined to agree with Dwight -- this isn't really a TSM
process. I'd think about using tar or pax (primarily because the source
to both is available) to write the archive media (tape, dvd, whatever)
and figure on copying the result about every six months to a year.

Short of that -- and I have yet to get MY corporation to buy into this
-- I have seven archive management classes: one_year, two_year, and on
to seven_year, with retentions amounting to one month longer than the
class name suggests. And an internal memo I dust off from time to time
about why this is a dumb idea. Current archiving activities haven't
really caused database issues in TSM - yet. But the requirement for more
disk space is one of the 'dumb idea' entries.

Good Luck -

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are for the exclusive
and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this
message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by
return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your
computer system. We do not waive attorney-client or work product privilege by
the transmission of this message.