ADSM-L

Re: archive problem/question

2004-07-14 10:32:40
Subject: Re: archive problem/question
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:33:58 -0400
Given that you've only got 100,000 files in the directory, and it has
inspected 3,000,000 files, I'd guess something is wrong.

I've seen Unix systems that have inadvertently gotten circular link
definitions, and TSM will blindly follow them over & over again, showing
this type of behaviour.

You might want to set archsymlinkasfile=no on the client and try it again
(but read the client manual for this first, to make sure that this does
what you want it to do).

-Lloyd

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:19:36 -0500
"Cain, Jason (Corporate)" <Jason.Cain AT CONAGRAFOODS DOT COM> wrote thusly:

> I am in the process of doing an archive for the first time of a unix
> file system.  The entire node has done backups before, and this is the
> first archive of a single file system.  The file system I am archiving
> has about 100,000 files in it; however the archive has been inspecting
> over 3,000,000 files and has taken over a day just to inspect.  Can
> someone please explain the process of the first time doing an archive,
> and if there is a way to speed the process.
>
> Jason Cain

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267