ADSM-L

Re: backup database command specifying tape volumes

2004-07-13 08:12:22
Subject: Re: backup database command specifying tape volumes
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:12:01 -0400

Tom,

Yes, that's exactly how it works.  Just make sure you list enough volumes
to always have one of them in your library, plus maybe a buffer.  I had a 7
day retention on my database backups, plus one day transit back from the
vault, so I used 10 volumes, and never had an issue.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

He who laughs last has a good backup.

             "Kauffman, Tom"
             <KauffmanT@NIBCO.
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     backup database command specifying
                                       tape volumes

             07/12/2004 04:26
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

I'm about to have mixed media (lto1 and lto2) in the same library. All
the drives will be lto2. I intend to set the lto2 media as scratch and
define the lto1 media to specific storage pools. Our current D/R hotsite
contract is for lto1 drives, so I'm planning on using the lto1 media for
all my copy pools.

Having said that - I need to make sure my database backups go to lto1
media. I've never used the 'volumes' parm on the backup database command
before. If I issue the command "backup database devclass=lto type=full
volumes=v1,v2,v3,v4" will tsm use the first available volume in the
list, or will it ignore the command if v1 is already an un-expired
database backup? In other words, how creative do I need to be in my
automated backup script?

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

GIF image