ADSM-L

Re: Log file filled up -- how to extend? -- URGENT!

2004-07-09 11:13:52
Subject: Re: Log file filled up -- how to extend? -- URGENT!
From: fred johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:13:39 -0500
Start with
        dsmfmt -log name of new logvol -g #ofbytes  (check the manual to
see if I have this in the right order)

When the format is thru
        dsmserv extendlog new logvol #of bytes  (check the manual to see
if extend is one or two words)

When the log is defined bring up the system as normal.

We have found that it is better to never let the log exceed 10-11 Gb when
the system is in rollforward mode.  Even if we have a log full situation in
the middle of the night, the above procedure takes minutes and the system
is up and going.  Then we delete the new logvol at the first chance.  If
the full 13 Gb is allotted to the log and it fills, the solution is to
restore the DB.  In our case, that's 150 Gb and hours of down time.