ADSM-L

setting client password non-interactively?

2004-07-08 18:50:18
Subject: setting client password non-interactively?
From: John Valdes <j-valdes AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:50:05 -0500
Hi TSMers,

Does anyone know how to set (save) a TSM (Unix) client password on a
node non-interactively when PASSWORDACCESS on that node is set to
GENERATE in the node's dsm.sys file?  This is the situation I'm trying
to solve:

Registration on my TSM server is closed.  When I register a new client
node on the TSM server, typically I'll assign it a default password
and set the "FORCEPWRESET" option to yes.  The client node's dsm.sys
file has PASSWORDACCESS set to GENERATE (so that I can run the client
scheduler in the background so that backups run automatically), so
when the node first contacts the server (via dsm or dsmc), dsm*
prompts me for a password, I manually type in the default password I
assigned to the node, it then generates a new, random password, and
finally it saves the new password to the TSM password file.  This
works OK, except that I'd like to completely automate the client side
of this procedure.  I've already automated the installation of the TSM
client software and its config files, but since I can't figure out how
to non-interactively enter the password on the client node, I still
need to manually log into each node and run dsmc before the scheduler
can run, which can be a pain when adding a lot of nodes to TSM.

I've tried using the "-password=xxx" option with "dsmc" (eg, "dsmc q
mgmt -password=xxx"), but this option is ignored when PASSWORDACCESS
is set to GENERATE (so say the docs and my tests...).  I can
temporarily comment out the PASSWORDACCESS option in the dsm.sys file,
and then the "-password" option works, but then the password doesn't
get saved.  I know that I could probably use "expect" to feed dsmc a
password non-interactively, but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible
as I don't normally install expect on our nodes (but I'm willing to do
so I guess if that's the only way...).

Any suggestions or ideas?  Am I missing something?

John