ADSM-L

Re: Restore from node to another node

2004-07-08 15:36:02
Subject: Re: Restore from node to another node
From: Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:35:36 -0700
The only thing that goes everywhere TSM goes, is ... TSM.

A problem with attempting to leverage TSM to store away a copy of the
schedlogs is that many of the modes of client failure break this mechanism.
In the case when you most need a log to look at, one isn't available.
(except the copy that is local to the client.)

It seems like there is a strategy there to leave open a market for things
like Tivoli Framework. Or is it called TCM these days?

[RC]

                      TSM_User
                      <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>        To:    ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist       cc:
                      Stor Manager"              Subject:      Re: Restore from
node to another node
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                      07/08/2004 12:12 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

                      |-------------------|
                      | [ ] Secure E-mail |
                      |-------------------|

I know of a site that runs a copy of the dsmerror and dsmsched logs to a
network share after each backup. Of course they appened the node name to
the front of each one.  They then have a script that looks at all the logs
in that directory and produces some reports.  I'm not sure how much better
that is than the Operational repoerter but I thought I'd just let you know
how I've seen it done.

Also, that one share is backed up by one client so they effectly have one
node with every dsmsched and dsmerror log backed up that can be restored
somewhere later if needed.

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM> wrote:
What you are asking for is not possible, at least not with a capability of
being able to restore from a single system. Among other things, you can
not use a single client to restore all sched logs since, for example, a
Windows client can not restore data backed up by NetWare or Unix.

Your best bet might be to try to automate some process where the client's
dsmsched.log and dsmerror.log files are emailed to you, or copied to a
shared network disk. Perhaps you can set up some kind of POSTSCHEDULECMD
processing to handle this.

Other members of this list with far more practical experience than I might
have other suggestions to offer.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" wrote on 07/08/2004
08:30:18: