ADSM-L

Re: Maximum database volumes?

2004-07-08 08:55:31
Subject: Re: Maximum database volumes?
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:55:30 +0200
John,

I had an LPAR dedicated to TSM - (200Mips) on a  z/900.
This LPAR did NOTHING but TSM.
When your database starts going over 40Gig you WILL NOT compete
with even a Win2K server in terms of throughput.
How many concurrent TSM sessions does your TSM server handle currently?
How much data can you pump through to TSM in an evening?
How long does your database backup run to do do 35Gig?
Some performance stats from a P650 - Lpar with 4Gig Ram, 4Cpu's and 2.9 Tb
of
staging area on a FastT900.
On average we backup between 1.5 Tb to 2.5 Tb a night - on the z900 we
battled
to do 500Gig (I've got all the graphs from the mainframe days of TSM to
now).
The TSM server on AIX handles this via two Gig ethernet adapters.
The mainframe had 2 Gig ethernet adapters as well doing into the Enterprise
backbone.
The network on the mainframe was OSA express adapters BTW.....

My database currently on AIX is 85Gig big and 96% utilized.
A full database backup takes 22minutes to LTO-2 drives - my database
backup on z/Os took +- 4hours to do 39Gig - this was to 3590-K model drives.
When I originally installed Tivoli Descision Support and tried to run
reports it took in excess
of 24 Hours to actually run - which made the descision support product
useless because
I was running TSM on OS/390/z/Os - on my AIX TSM server I'm able to use the
product properly.

Don't think I'm negative towards the mainframe, (I ran ADSM v1 on MVS a
decade ago already),
and it runs fine up to a certain point - if your load is not high, then it
will suffice - when you are
running large workloads it becomes impractical - I would have had to run
about 5 LPAR's
to achieve the same I'm achieving with one  midrange TSM server.

Hope this puts my perspective on mainframe TSM servers into perspective....

Regards
Christo Heuer