ADSM-L

Re: 3582 supported on TSM 5.2.2 AIX ?

2004-07-05 07:52:02
Subject: Re: 3582 supported on TSM 5.2.2 AIX ?
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:51:35 +0200
Hi Sascha

Are the drives connected on the same adapter? In this case, the
"shoe-shine" effect is probably what you're seeing. Your new LTO-2 drive
have variable speed. However, the speed is only adjustable as long as the
speed doesnt fall below 15MB/s. Your LTO-1 drives has a maximum transfer
rate of 15MB/s uncompressed. This could mean, the LTO-1 drives doesnt
deliver data fast enough to the LTO-2 drives.

If you're using SCSI connected drives, this could impose a real impact on
performance, as the SCSI adapter is arbitrated, and therefore cannot write
to more than one device at a time.

If you're using AIX, you could use for example topas(if its installed) so
see the performance of your tape drives. As long as no other procesess or
sessions are running, you could look at the top right number(tty
write/read) to determine the speed of the tape drives.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Sascha Askani <se7en_t_2 AT GMX DOT NET>
2004-07-05 13:46
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: 3582 supported on TSM 5.2.2 AIX ?

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your fast reply, I feel somewhat relieved that the lib is
supported, because I face major performance problems with this library at
the moment doing a "move nodedata" 3583(LTO1) -> 3582(LTO2), but I can't
say
if this is a Library-, SCSI- or TSM-Problem or no problem at all (for
example "Shoe-shine" on the 3583...

Greetings

Sascha Askani

> Hi Sascha
>
> It means from, so you shouldnt have any problems using your 3582 under
TSM