ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MSSQL 5.2.1 performance issues and questions.

2004-07-01 13:02:42
Subject: Re: TDP for MSSQL 5.2.1 performance issues and questions.
From: "Leonard, Christopher" <christopher-leonard AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:02:22 -0500
John,

This may not help you right now, but in case you're wanting to throw SQL
Server out the Window because of this "feature," I thought I'd mention that
this will change in SQL Server 2005.  As others have mentioned, SQL Server
2000 (and prior) must initialize all of the database pages before proceeding
with a restore.  This is because the restore only writes out pages that are
in use, so you can't rely on the restore to initialize all the pages for
you.

As I understand it, in SQL Server 2005, SQL Server still must allocate the
file space before doing a database restore, but the time-consuming
initialization of database pages is no longer required.  This should
considerably alleviate, or perhaps even practically eliminate, the problem
you are experiencing.

Like I said, although this might not help you now, I thought it might be
good to know as you look down the road.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Leonard